Hotels in Anchorage, USA
- Comprehensive hotel search for Anchorage online
- Find a cheap hotel in Anchorage!
- Book at the ideal price!
Anchorage: Wild and Wonderful
Marvel at magnificent vistas and awesome landscapes. Explore a city and state that’s rich in history and heavy on the friendly locals. Witness one of nature’s most impressive natural phenomenon or simply cosy up with a mug of hot chocolate. Get up close and personal with bears, wolves and other Alaskan creatures … but don’t get too close. Visit Anchorage and discover a city that’s anything but ordinary, a city that’s rich in history and so very close to the wild.
Explore Alaskan History
Travellers looking to explore the history of Anchorage and Alaska in general will find several suitable destinations in and around the city. Located downtown, close to all hotels in the city, Anchorage Museum at Rasmuson Centre offers an insightful look at Alaska’s past, compiling artefacts, dioramas, interactive displays, and more. It’s also home to an impressive selection of original artwork from some of the region’s finest artists. The Rasmuson Center also houses the Imaginarium Science Discovery Center, a museum aimed at children. Located approximately ten miles from downtown Anchorage, the Alaska Native Heritage Center is a must-visit for history buffs. Here you’ll find out everything you need to know about the many difference cultures that exist and have existed in the local area. Other popular historical sites include the Oscar Anderson House, which was the first wood-framed house to be built in Anchorage, and the Alaska Aviation Heritage Museum, home to a selection of historic aircraft.
Visit Downtown Attractions
Take a stroll around downtown Anchorage and you’ll come across a number of non-historical attractions. The Alaska Center for the Performing Arts (ACPA) is a very popular destination. Home to three different theatres, the venue regularly hosts an assortment of events, including orchestral performances, dance recitals, music concerts, stage plays, musicals, and more. Additionally, the ACPA is home to the only opera company in the state. A mile and a half from the ACPA stands Sullivan Arena. In addition to being home to the Alaska Aces ice hockey team, the multipurpose venue also hosts concerts, exhibitions, and other sporting events. As a result, it’s one of the city’s most visited destinations. Elsewhere downtown you’ll find art galleries, boutique shops, shopping malls, baseball fields, and much more. Best of all, it’s just a short walk back to your hotel from any downtown attraction.
Get Up Close and Personal with Local Wildlife
For city visitors, a number of opportunities make it possible to observe the local wildlife. The Alaska Zoo, a short drive from downtown Anchorage, is home to more than 50 species, most of which are local to the region. Here you’ll see the likes of brown bears, arctic foxes, musk oxen, and grey wolves. If you’re willing to travel a little further, the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, 45 miles away in Portage, is another great place to see some of the locals. Meanwhile, the Anchorage Coastal Wildlife Refuge – Potter Marsh offers you the chance to see local birds, including bald eagles, and other species in their natural habitat. Travellers heading to the area between May and September may also enjoy a whale watching excursion. Close to city hotels you’ll find a number of tour operators who offer whale watching trips, providing transport to the towns of Whittier or Seward where you’ll up-anchor and set out on the open water.
Make the Most of the Great Outdoors
No trip to Anchorage would be complete without an excursion into the great outdoors. The city offers access to a number of picturesque and scenic settings. If you’re looking to stay close to the city, the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail is a good option. Stretching some 11 miles from the Oscar Anderson House to Kincaid Park, the trail is great for walking, cycling, or skating. Be sure to stop by Earthquake Park along the way and learn how a devastating earthquake in 1964 washed part of the city out to sea. Further afield, Chugach National Forest is a stunning destination. Expect forests, mountains, and the impressive Portage Glacier amongst other stunning sights. Alternatively, Anchorage offers a wide range of outdoor pursuits for you to partake in. From rafting and kayaking to sledding and skiing, from quad biking and horseback riding to flight-seeing and golf, there’s plenty to do in this part of the world.
Attend Special Events
Each year on the first Saturday in March Anchorage serves as the ceremonially starting point for the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race. Hordes of onlookers arrive in the city to see off mushers and their team of dogs as they begin a journey that will take them more than 1,000 miles across Alaska. Understandably, hotels are heavily booked and more expensive on this weekend of the year, but the atmosphere during the ceremony is said to be worth the inflated price. In late February, ahead of the sled dog race, the city hosts the Fur Rendezvous Festival. What started out as a gathering of fur traders has turned into North America’s largest winter festival, a festival that is very well attended. Perhaps the city’s most popular draw though, and one that brings visitors to locations across Alaska in general, are the Aurora Borealis, or Northern Lights. Roughly speaking, from late May to early September you stand a good chance of witnessing this mystical natural phenomenon. To put it simply, this is one sight you’ll likely never forget.
Price rangefrom AU$56to AU$696
- Hotel Sockeye Inndeals from AU$83
- Hotel Brown Bear Saloon Anddeals from AU$84
- Hotel Aptel Studiodeals from AU$124
- Hotel Girdwood Slopeside Condo With Roof Top Balcony! Direct Mt Views All Levelsdeals from AU$8
- Hotel Aspen Suites Anchoragedeals from AU$96
- Hotel The Lakefront Anchoragedeals from AU$135
More Top Hotels
- Inlet Tower Hotel & Suites
- Ingra House
- Cozy Duplex Unit Beside Russian Jack Park
- Home2 Suites by Hilton Anchorage/Midtown
- Lakeshore Inn & Suites
- Clarion Suites Downtown Anchorage
- Americas Best Value Inn-Executive Suites / Airport
- Embassy Suites by Hilton Anchorage
- Anchorage Walkabout Town
- Courtyard by Marriott Anchorage Airport
- Extended Stay America Suites - Anchorage - Midtown
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Anchorage
- Hotel Anchorage Downtown
- Dimond Center Hotel
- GuestHouse Inn & Suites Anchorage
- Hilton Anchorage
- Econo Inn Anchorage
- Alaskan European
- SpringHill Suites Anchorage Midtown
- Extended Stay America Suites - Anchorage - Downtown
- Qupqugiaq Inn
- Copper Whale Inn
- Travel Inn Anchorage
- Anchorage Uptown Suites & Condominium
- Bent Prop Inn - Downtown
- 11th Avenue Bed and Breakfas
- Aviator Anchorage
- Sourdough Lodge
- Anchorage Downtown Deluxe Furnished One Bedroom Apartment
- 2br/2ba Condo In The Heart Of Anchorage-along Trail System
- Executive 2 Bedroom Ranch Style Condo
- A welcoming, fully furnished, comfortable and clean three bedrooms house.
- Top Floor Midtown Apartment
- Hyatt Place Anchorage Midtown
- Hotels in Sydney 18030 Hotels deals from AU$20
- Hotels in Melbourne 15171 Hotels deals from AU$28
- Hotels in Seward 418 Hotels deals from AU$72
- Hotels in Las Vegas 7936 Hotels deals from AU$26
- Hotels in Palmer 134 Hotels deals from AU$115
- Hotels in New York 16298 Hotels deals from AU$55
More Top Destinations
- San Francisco
- Los Angeles
- Gold Coast
- Santa Monica
- Hong Kong
- Surfers Paradise
- Patong Beach
- Byron Bay