Hotels in Coolangatta, Australia
- Comprehensive hotel search for Coolangatta online
- Find a cheap hotel in Coolangatta!
- Book at the ideal price!
Experience Coolangatta, a sun-kissed paradise on Australia’s eastern coast
Choose between relaxing on first-class sandy beaches, surfing endlessly or bringing the family along to discover regional theme parks and beauty spots in Coolangatta, Queensland. Anchoring roughly 25 miles of pristine coastline, this family-friendly small town resort off the M1 motorway about 60 miles south of Brisbane brims with hotels, holiday apartments and restaurants. Furthermore, Coolangatta averages an enviable 300 days of sizzling sunshine a year. As exciting Gold Coast’s southernmost suburb, it’s also the home of Gold Coast Airport. Movie buffs might even recognize Coolangatta as Porpoise Spit, the heroine’s fictitious hometown in the Australian cult film Muriel’s Wedding.
Brilliant beaches for bathing, bronzing, diving and surfing
Whether you want to sunbathe, surf, dive or swim, Coolangatta’s beautiful beaches of golden sand won’t disappoint. Wherever your hotel is in Coolangatta, blissfully warm Pacific Ocean waters will be nearby. Overlooked by scenic Queen Elizabeth Park is the picturesque main bathing spot of Coolangatta Beach. Known as Superbank among surfers, this beach features one of Queensland’s finest wave breaks. Together with its expansive northern neighbour of Kirra Beach, it doubles as a magnet for snorkelling and diving around the offshore corals of Nine Mile Reef. Coolangatta’s southernmost stretch of shoreline around Greenmount Beach and Rainbow Bay also caters for swimmers and surfers. South of the rocky headland at Snapper Rocks, across the state border in New South Wales, is the surfing paradise at Duranbah Beach. Nature’s own wave-machine, this attractive bay boasts a world-class surf break plus a famously reliable swell, even when nearby beaches are experiencing calmer surfing conditions.
Tired of Coolangatta’s beaches? Head north for more sun-soaked and shark-net protected strips of sand like Main Beach, Burleigh Heads and the ever-popular Surfers Paradise, which is overlooked by Gold Coast’s signature high-rise skyline. Moreover, surfing and diving novices will find plenty of opportunities to enrol on local courses. Those who would rather watch surfing experts in action can time their visit to coincide with prestigious summertime competitions held around Coolangatta.
Attractions not to miss
Just a short walk from your hotel in Coolangatta you can find popular attractions which prove popular all year round. Visitors flock to the Point Danger headland straddling the state border for stunning mountain vistas and views along the coast. The landmark makes a fantastic lookout for passing whales too. Point Danger Lighthouse, notable for its modern architecture, also occupies the scenic promontory as do war memorials and a monument to Captain Cook, who sailed past in 1770, becoming the first European to note the area.
Shop, dine and enjoy annual events in Coolangatta
As a southern district of Queensland’s second-largest city of Gold Coast, down-to-earth Coolangatta feels less touristy than the faster-paced northern neighbourhoods. However, it possesses excellent shopping and dining in its town centre, where many hotels are situated. Cafes and bars plus old-fashioned burger joints and pizzerias around Kirra Point attract locals and holidaymakers alike. Meanwhile, there are interesting modern Australian eateries dotted throughout central Coolangatta. Many dish up abundant, locally-caught seafood. Additionally, there are Japanese, Spanish and German eateries along Griffith Street and Marine Parade, which boasts waterfront restaurants. Shoppers hunting for surfwear, gifts and fashion will also find several retailers in this part of Coolangatta.
The Cooly Rocks On festival each June is among the top annual events in Coolangatta. Celebrating all things 1950s and ‘60s, it brings rockabilly and swing bands to town for a dose of winter fun at multiple venues, including outdoor stages by the beach. Visitors can experience a colourful street parade plus retro markets, classic car displays and dance workshops. There’s also a monthly arts and crafts market on Coolangatta beachfront. And if you’re in town on New Year’s Eve you can be in the New Year twice in one hour simply by crossing Boundary Street. It marks the frontier between Coolangatta in Queensland and the neighbouring town of Tweed Heads in New South Wales, where daylight saving time is observed.
Explore Coolangatta’s magnificent hinterland
Mountains, waterfalls and ancient rainforests beckon in the raw beauty of Coolangatta’s lush hinterland. Adventurous types can leave their hotel and step back in time to explore subtropical rainforests dating back to the prehistoric Gondwana supercontinent. The rare flora and fauna of beautiful Lamington National Park has earned it World Heritage Site status and visitors can take advantage of its extensive network of walking trails to glimpse protected birdlife and threatened tree species. The park is famed for showcasing earth’s evolutionary history and processes. The easiest areas to reach by road include Binna Burra and the Green Mountains. Guided walks and four-wheel drive eco-safari tours of the region’s superb national parks are also possible.
Make Coolangatta your Gold Coast gateway
Book one of Coolangatta’s hotels for your Gold Coast getaway and it’s simple to enjoy all that the wider region has to offer, including exquisite dining options, nightlife hotspots, major shopping malls and top golf courses. Coolangatta is well-served by buses, so it’s a doddle to connect with light rail and mainline train services spanning Gold Coast. From Coolangatta it’s also easy for thrill seekers to have a memorable adventure at the area’s theme parks. These include Dreamworld, filled with high-octane rides and rollercoasters, or waterparks like Wet ‘n’ Wild and WhiteWater World. Animal lovers will be keen on Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary, where typically Australian creatures like koalas and crocodiles can be seen.
Price rangefrom AU$65to AU$714
- Hotel Mantra Twin Towns Coolangattadeals from AU$122
- Hotel Beach House Seaside Resortdeals from AU$176
- Hotel Sea Dog Shack coolangatta (pet friendly)deals from AU$87
- Hotel Golden Shoresdeals from AU$103
- Hotel Kirra Vista 9 - Kirra Beachfront - Min. 3 Night Stays!deals from AU$8
- Hotel Mantra Coolangatta Beachdeals from AU$194
More Top Hotels
- Greenmount Hotel
- Kirra Beach Apartments
- Coolangatta Sands Hotel
- Calypso Plaza Penthouse 403 - Coolangatta Beachfront
- Centre Court 24 Kirra - Kirra Beachfront
- Kirra Gardens Unit 25 -gchh
- Ocean Plaza 1577 - Coolangatta Beachfront!
- Tondio Terrace Flat 4 - Pet Friendly, Ground Floor Neat And Tidy Budget Accommodation
- Ocean Vista - Central Coolangatta
- Rainbow Bay Resort
- The Pink Coolangatta
- Nirvana by the Sea
- Blue C 1304 - Coolangatta Beachfront!
- Iconic Kirra Beach Resort
- Reflection on the Sea
- Tondio Terrace Flat 3 - Pet Friendly, Neat And Tidy Flat, Easy Walk To The Beach
- Beach Lodge Unit 9 - Greenmount Beach Coolangatta
- Centre Court 13 Kirra - Kirra Beachfront
- Calypso Plaza 419 - Coolangatta Beachfront!
- Oaks Gold Coast Calypso Plaza Suites
- Hotel Komune Resort
- Reflection Tower Two
- Columbia On Rainbow Bay
- Beachcomber International Resort
- Pure Kirra
- Cirrus @ Kirra-gchh，gold Coast
- Amazing Ocean Views From Every Room. Kayaks, Beach And Snorkel Gear Included
- Meridian Tower
- Hidden Gem In Coolangatta - Huge Pet Friendly Beach House!
- Kirra Beach Tourist Park
- Kirra Palms
- Carool Apartments
- Bella Mare Beachside Apartments
- Aria Del Mare
- Ocean Plaza
- Wave Break 6-gchh
- Points North Apartments
- The Penthouse At Maili
- Tweed Ultima Holiday Apartments
- Blue C Coolangatta
- Kirra Surf Apartments
- Toorak Court 8-gchh Coolangatta
- 2 Level Absolute Beachfront Luxury Penthouse With 3 Bedrooms, And 3 Bathrooms, Roof Top Spa, Bb
- Hotels in Gold Coast 10025 Hotels deals from AU$53
- Hotels in Surfers Paradise 2373 Hotels deals from AU$23
- Hotels in Tweed Heads 597 Hotels deals from AU$76
- Hotels in Broadbeach 584 Hotels deals from AU$94
- Hotels in Brisbane 5057 Hotels deals from AU$21
- Hotels in Sydney 20071 Hotels deals from AU$20
More Top Destinations
- Byron Bay
- Mount Tamborine
- Sunshine Coast
- Hervey Bay
- Noosa Heads
- Coffs Harbour
- North Stradbroke Island
- Coolum Beach
- South Stradbroke Island
- Airlie Beach
- Moreton Island
- Alexandra Headland
- Port Macquarie
- Port Douglas
- Sanctuary Cove
- Bribie Island
- Hamilton Island
- Rainbow Beach